2012/03/11

Bodies Lay Broken - Execrable Excrescence Of Exsufflicate Exenterating Exertion


A friend of mine was raving about these guys this last week, so why not throw this demo up here now.

Bodies Lay Broken were a goregrind band from St. Paul, Minnesota. Musically, they were a totally serious project, but when it came to song titles and imagery they chose to go the less serious route, throwing together medical-sounding terms with no regard for whether or not they made sense and throwing as many hidden 'tributes' to their favorite gore/grind bands into their packaging as they could... and putting Hello Kitty images on their merch (which is great 'cause I wear their t-shirt to my kindergarten teaching job and the kids love it!). Despite a great in-depth 'biography' that has them forming in 1992 and releasing a large number of demos, EPs and an LP or two in the '90s, their first real release was this 2001 demo. After this demo, they changed vocalists and went on to release split EPs with Machetazo, Black Market Fetus and Head Hits Concrete, and a full-length CD/LP. The splits and this demo were collected on a second CD. All of it is top fucking notch goregrind with awesome riffs throughout, the LP especially is one of my favorite goregrind LPs of all time. They split up when one member, Hagamoto, returned to Japan around 2004~2005. Hagamoto has also been involved in Gevotais Borken and Brob, as well as the excellent Patisserie (which is in some ways kind of a continuation of BLB) and, I believe, Pantalones Abajo Marinero, where he pretends to be Hispanic. Other members of BLB have been involved in bands such as Hope You Choke and Pandamonium.


...yeah, I'm not as good as BLB are at coming up with verbose alliterations...

4 comments:

gamma693 said...

I love that the history of B.L.B. is so clouded, even after all these years. You got a lot of it right, but not all. Great band, great demo. I like the vocals on this demo a lot.

said...

haha... what did I get wrong?

I hope I'm not missing any real releases, BLB are one of the few bands where I believe I own everything they've put out, including the album on both CD and LP

possibly worth pointing out, my 'research' basically consisted of checking their metal-archives page to double-check that I wasn't forgetting/missing any (real) releases and was getting the general timeframe right... and in doing so, discovering the fake biog by happy accident

also worth pointing out, I've always been something of a loner within the musical world, in that I've never really been in contact with any band/label people, or had anybody 'mentor' me into finding stuff and learning background info... actually you're probably the closest I've ever had to that... I did exchange a couple of emails with Steve, though, when I ordered one of those Hello Kitty t-shirts from him

gamma693 said...

It sounds to me as if you have all of their releases. I'm not going to clarify anything, though. It just wouldn't be right. Bodies Lay Broken were one of the best in that genre. I'm fairly certain I've seen them live more than any other band.

STRIATIONS said...

Please Re-Upload.